DELL Server Support

This is a big collection of questions asked in interviews in different Domains.

DELL Server Support

Unread postby rajeevmahura » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:29 am

Dear All these are the interview questions for DELL Server Support technical Round 1.

1. what is raid?

2. how many types of raid? what is the difference between raid 0, 1 and 5?

3. which raid will you suject to the customer to implement?

4. cutomer want to use the storage for streaming media, which raid will you suggest?

5. server is restarting imtermitantly , what is the issue ?

6. how to analyse blue dump error ?

7. what is DAT , DLT, LTO , autoloader,and library ?

8. what is the difference between autoloader and library?

9. customer has a shared folder and tring to access it through another pc on network. specified pc not found, system is also
not pinging , what can be the issue ?

10. how to analyse blue dump error?

11. how will you troubleshoot a server hanging issue in linux?

12. customer is installing windows server 2003 and booted the server with bootable CD, it is showing no hdd detected, what
is the issue?
13. what is the option for installing thirdparty raid controller driver in windows installion?
--Regards--
Rajeev Mahura
Servers & Storage Professional
http://about.me/rajeevmahura
rajeevmahura

Full Name: Rajeev Mahura
Date Of Birth: 15 Jan 1984
Address: New Delhi
Profession: DOEACC Trainer
DOEACC Center: DOEACC DELHI
Mobile No: 0

Re: DELL Server Support

Unread postby rajeevmahura » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:24 pm

1. what is raid?

answer=> Raid is a technology which provides fault tolerance, integrety, safty in terms of data, it can also make a huge storage combining more HDDs into one volume.

2. how many types of raid? what is the difference between raid 0, 1 and 5?

answer=> There are different types of raid i.e. raid 0, raid 1, raid 2, raid 3, raid 5, raid 6 , raid 01 and so on but raid 0,1 and 5 are important in present scenario.
raid 0 is a striped volume which provides combining of two or more hdds into one volume it cant provide fault tollarance.
raid 1 is morrored volome of another volume. it makes the exact copy of another hdd or array. it provids 100% fault tollarance. min of two hdds are required to configure raid 1 and max 2 hdd supported by it.

3. which raid will you suject to the customer to implement?

answer=> it depentd on the usage of the customer. if he wnt the fault tallerance for OS, i will suggest raid 1, if customer want to increase storage and dont want fault toallarance i will suggest raid 0, if customer want to use the raid for data storage and want the fault tollarance also i awill suggest raid 5.

4. cutomer want to use the storage for streaming media, which raid will you suggest?

answer=> raid 0+1

5. server is restarting imtermitantly , what is the issue ?
Answer=> first off all i will check that from which position it is restarts i.e from the post only or from the windows login screen. if it restarts from post we will proceed to hardware daignopstics otherwise troubleshoot OS. we can also check on mininmum hardware and alternate ram modules. always keep in mind to check the system for any short curcuit and fluctuations in the power input.

6. how to analyse blue dump error ?
answer=> there is one utility provided by microsoft to analise the memory dumps, called WINDBG and windows daignostics. we can istall the utiltiy on the system and open the dump files from %systemroot%/minidump and run the daignostics here.

7. what is DAT , DLT, LTO , autoloader,and library ?
Answer=> these all are tape storage devices used for taking backups.
DAT =digital audiotape
DLT=Digital lenior tape
LTO=Leniour tape open
Autoloader= it contains one tape drive but can load number of tape media one by one automatically. used for automatic backups
Library= it contains more then one tape drive and one robotic hand, can laod more tape media in more then one tape drives automatically. it is used in big datacenters to automize the backup process where one tape drive is not enough.

8. what is the difference between autoloader and library?
answer=>
Autoloader= it contains one tape drive but can load number of tape media one by one automatically. used for automatic backups
Library= it contains more then one tape drive and one robotic hand, can laod more tape media in more then one tape drives automatically. it is used in big datacenters to automize the backup process where one tape drive is not enough.

9. customer has a shared folder and tring to access it through another pc on network. specified pc not found, system is also not pinging , what can be the issue ?
answer=>
we will check for proper cable connectivity, if it is ok then we will check uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver if it does not work then confirm the issue by using another alternate NIC.

10. customer is installing windows server 2003 and booted the server with bootable CD, it is showing no hdd detected, what is the issue?
answers=> OS is not able to installe the driver for the storage controller because it does not have the drivers bydefault, we have to install the drivers manually in between the installation of the OS.

11. what is the option for installing thirdparty raid controller driver in windows installion?
answer=> F6 key inbetween the installation of OS.

12. how will you troubleshoot a server hanging issue in linux?
answer=> answers will be posted in linux thread of this forum soon.
--Regards--
Rajeev Mahura
Servers & Storage Professional
http://about.me/rajeevmahura
rajeevmahura

Full Name: Rajeev Mahura
Date Of Birth: 15 Jan 1984
Address: New Delhi
Profession: DOEACC Trainer
DOEACC Center: DOEACC DELHI
Mobile No: 0

Re: DELL Server Support